Why an Extern
The VFC Externship helps leading startups enrich Alberta’s innovation ecosystem by exposing teams of interdisciplinary student volunteers from local colleges and universities to real-world business challenges.
Fast, flexible, impact.
A collaborative project framing process, VFC is there to support employers and students at every stage.
Are a team of Externs right for you?
Eligible businesses must meet the following criteria:
Business must operate in AB
Starts up or SMEs with less than 500 employees
Your company or industry is exploring new ideas and is interested in new/student perspectives on some aspects of your work
Must commit to attending an onboarding webinar
Your company is entrepreneurial, or can offer an innovative or entrepreneurial exposure opportunity to students
Must select a mentor and company represented
Must be willing to provide opportunities for coffee chats with employees. Minimum of 1 one-on-one for each student
Complete student assessments (template provided) for each student following the final presentation and the VFC evaluation.
- Identify the project.
- Select the Externship mentor.
- Provide a career coaching opportunity for the group individually or as a team.
- Meet with the group once a week (this should be planned in the first meeting.)
- Focus Group - An idea, product, or problem for students to solicit creative, fresh and innovative feedback. Suited for early year students.
- Research - Students will research and present their findings to a question posed by employers. Suited for early or upper-year students.
- Analysis/Solution - The action-based solutions to address a problem. Employers provide more background context so students have the relevant data and information to identify solutions. Suited for upper-year students. Other challenges may be suitable. Connect with our team about your idea.